Mississippi Barbell Powerlifting
Mississippi Barbell's powerlifting team is a sanctioned club by USA Powerlifting. The team is comprised of male and female lifters of all ages and is coached by USAPL Coach Amber Sheppard. Our powerlifting team trains at the same time as our weightlifters with many athletes competing in both.
All athletes who wish to compete must be drug-free and abide by all USAPL and IPF rules and regulations.
What Is Powerlifting
- Squat, Bench, and Deadlift
- Lifters are divided into two categories: raw and equipped
- Raw lifters are only allowed to wear belts, wrist wraps, and unsupported knee wraps
- Equipped lifters can wear "gear" like thick suits, shirts, and supporting knee wraps.
- A majority of our lifters compete Raw
- Ray Williams: World Champion, world record squat and total
- Melissa Copeland: World Champion, American record holder, international medalist and state record holder
- Andrew Bator: national level athlete
- Amber Sheppard: national level lifter, athlete of the year, and former multiple state record holder
- Natalie Cantrell: 2013 Junior National Champion; equipped
- Heath Williams: state record holder
- Erin Hopkins: 2014 state champion and former record holder